A Korean SME specialized in manufacturing seat frames and components for automobile, is preparing a project proposal under the EUREKA programme. The R&D project proposal is about developing sensor-embedded seats for automobile to measure and analyse driverís physical condition. Company or institute with expertise and experience in sensor technology is welcomed to join the consortium for R&D collaboration.
In 2018, the elderly population will occupy 14% of the Korean population. As the aging population will continue to grow, the accident rate due to the limited physical functions of the elderly driver will also increase. In addition, the number of traffic accidents caused by drowsy driving in Korea was 2,433 cases in 2016, and the number has been steadily increasing since 2014.
For these reasons, the Korean company wishes to develop sensor embedded automotive seats to comply with the need for technology development that measures health condition such as heart rate, respiration and stress level of the driverís. The company wishes to cooperate with a partner that has sensor technology including noise cancellation function, as well as physical analysis function.
The Korean company has been supplying seat frames to Hyundai Motor, one of the biggest automobile manufacturers in Korea. Based on their several international business experiences, the company is able to comply with automobile safety regulations of Korea, the United States and Europe.
In addition, with its professional know-how in manufacturing automobile parts, the company is able to re-design seat frame structure along with sensor application. The company has enough equipment for prototype production and testing. The company is currently at the conceptualization stage for this sensor-embedded seat for automobile, and is in the process of proposal writing. As mentioned above, the company wishes to cooperate with a partner that has sensor technology including noise cancellation and physical analysis function. The goal of technology development for each phase is as follows:
R&D step-by-step technology completion goal
1) Step 1: Developing measurement and analysis technology of physical information such as heart rate, respiration and stress level.
2) Step 2: Less than 10% error rate of respiration measurement and heart rate under 90~100km speed highway driving condition, and -40?~ 95 ? temperature condition.
3) Step 3: Less than 10% error rate of physical analysis under general road driving condition of rapid acceleration, rapid deceleration and rough road surface etc.
4) Step 4: Prototype production and performance evaluation.
Since Ford of the United States stopped the development of a car seat for heart rate measurement, Faurecia, which collaborated with NASA, is the only company that has successfully commercialized it. Therefore, if this project is successful, the company would be the first company to develop a non-restraint automobile seat.
The company plans to commercialize the technology within 5 years, and wishes to join EUREKA project with the deadline of call on June 2018. Any offer for cooperation call between two countries is also negotiable.
- EoI for EUREKA call on June will be accepted until June 1st, 2018
- EoI for cooperation call between two countries will be accepted at least 3 weeks before due dates.
- Specific area of activity of the partner: - Type of partner sought: Company or research institute.
- Specific area of activity of the partner: Healthcare, electronic
components, ICT specialized in sensor technology.
- Task to be performed: Development of sensor technology, noise cancellation technology, physical information analysis system.
* Expected outcomes of R&D project *
1. The sensor-embedded seat doesn't hinder the appearance of the car seat (design innovation)
2. In contrast to conventional measuring method utilizing ECG(electrocardiogram) or laser sensor, the sensor-embedded seat works in everyday circumstances with clothes on without direct skin-contact.
3. The sensor technology with non-restraint measurement feature increases user convenience and utilization, as it can be applied to various fields.
4. The sensor embedded seat prevents drowsy driving: As a driver's fatigue level can be measured, the driver can quickly decide whether he/she should drive or not.
5. Support aging society: As the physical function of the elderly driver can be measured in real time, the rate of accidents due to individual body functions can be reduced.
6. As the technology is related to both automotive and health care field, it is possible to expand the business market into the health care sector.
7. Since Ford of the United States stopped the development of a car seat for heart rate measurement, Faurecia, which collaborated with NASA, is the only company that has successfully commercialized it. Therefore, if this project is successful, the company would be the first company to develop a non-restraint automobile seat.
Secret Know-how,Patent(s) applied for but not yet granted,Patents granted
24/04/2018 - Selling Online Internationally - Inverary