A Dutch reverse logistic service provider is looking for more efficient and healthier technologies and processes to refurbish used cardboard boxes. Due to excessive attrition rates and less healthy working conditions, the current process no longer persuades their own sustainable mission. The SME might offer a technical cooperation agreement or other type of agreement, to companies working in software development, tech & design, engineering or, creative thinking.
The independent Dutch SME subsidiary of an American company provides reverse logistic (return) services and customer deliveries for well-known multinationals. If the customer wishes, the SME provides the required services in-company. The business-model comprises checking in the used cardboard boxes, surveying the quality, sorting them out, sometimes emptying, cleaning and stockage. Around half a million of the refurbished cardboard boxes a year are stored in their warehouse.
Consumers, like the government and local authorities become increasingly environmentally aware and demand for instance that this theme is incorporated in their tenders.
With the current methods the company has been refurbishing cardboard boxes for years. For strategic reasons the process needs to be renewed;
- Due to increasing numbers (daily up to 1000 boxes at 90 - 120 sec per piece every day),
- Due to the glue fumes when removing stickers and tape, the work becomes unhealthy,
- The process is too energy-consuming,
- the failure rate of good boxes is too high,
- Customers demand an ever-increasing use of used boxes,
- the efficiency is too low,
The company wants to be ahead in the turbulent market and is looking for new solutions to keep up with the increasing customer demands.
In view of their wishes, the company thinks in the framework of the following solution:
- mechanizing, automating and robotizing the process,
- innovating the mechanical method used to remove tapes and stickers including an environmentally friendly chemical solvent when needed.
The SME has the intension to work in the framework of a technical corporation agreement but other types of agreements are open for discussion.
IMPORTANT NOTE: This technology request is part of an innovation challenge and is published on an open
innovation platform from February 22th 2021 until March 29th 2021. If an organization does express interest in cooperation with this firm before closing date, it will be guided towards this open innovation platform on which one can get in touch with the company experts. Mind that posts on this platform are not confidential.
Beside open discussions on the platform, sharing of confidential information will be made possible on demand. After
that, the firm will select the SMEs that will be invited for further contact to discuss cooperation possibilities aimed at
the development of a solution.
- Type of partner sought: The company is looking for the following disciplines:
- Software development.
- ICT, technology and robotics.
- Tech & design.
- Creative thinking.
- Transport and logistics.
- Specific area of activity of the partner: The company is looking for a partner who can help them improve the current refurbishing process so that it becomes more efficient and environmentally friendly.
For this purpose, the company is looking for technical partners like engineering consultants, companies with the aforementioned specific knowledge, who can help them with their knowledge in the various disciplines. They are looking for knowledge in the field of mechanising the supply, removing tape and stickers, knowledge of safely releasing agent, creating a safe working environment.
The company is prepared to enter into a long-term relationship.
Other - Since this technology request is an innovation challenge and is published on an open innovation platform all types of IPR status can be considered.