A Dutch manufacturer of magnesium strives to give its product a more prominent role in food and is searching for partners to co-create or co-develop food products that involve magnesium within the frame of a research cooperation agreement or a technical cooperation agreement.
This request refers to an innovation challenge published on an open internet-platform.
The Dutch company produces magnesium salts in the Northern part of The Netherlands. The health benefits of magnesium in the human body are well known. Currently, the magnesium produced by the company is not used in food products as a functional ingredient. However, the company strives to give magnesium a more prominent role in food products.
This is a challenge because the interactions and functions of magnesium salt in food products are not always clear yet.
- The specific area is largely unexplored by the company, although they found some linkages. The company would like to find partners to help to speed up the development process.
- Finding ways to incorporate magnesium in food products can help the company to revalue their magnesium product while at the same time, it can help to solve the growing problem of magnesium deficiency.
- According to the company’s preliminary knowledge, a technical solution might be found in one of these four areas (but it also might be found in a totally different area):
1. Firstly there is texture or structure improvement. Magnesium might play a role in cross-linking of some hydro-colloids (like with alginates from seaweed).
2. The second possibility is related to taste improvement in specific products. Magnesium chloride has a specific taste profile and could support bitter notes or specific salty flavors.
3. Thirdly, an additional advantage could be possible sodium reduction (which might relate somewhat to point two, the salty flavor).
4. And finally, a property related to the health aspect of magnesium (many general health aspects of Magnesium are known).
The company is looking for:
a. Techniques or methods to explore functions of magnesium in food products
b. Co-development partners to develop food products with magnesium
within the frame of a research cooperation agreement or a technical cooperation agreement.
What is in it for a potential partner:
- Work together with an international magnesium producing company on a health challenge.
- Opportunity to co-create or co-develop a new food concept that involves magnesium.
IMPORTANT: This technology request refers to an innovation challenge published on an open internet platform. If an organization expresses interest before the closing date, it will be guided towards this open innovation platform.
After registration on the platform participants can browse free through other submissions and engage in discussions. All submissions will get feedback by the company on this open platform. The challenge closes on October 2nd at 3 pm.
Mind that posts on this platform are not confidential. Beside open discussions on the platform, sharing of confidential information will be made possible on demand. After that, the firm will select the organizations with whom they would like to cooperate in the development of a solution. Once the challenge is closed, expressions of interest for this technology request will be treated in the traditional way.
- Type of partner sought: Disciplines the company may need:
- R&D organizations specialised in food and nutrition
- Food product development
- Specific area of activity of the partner: Type: organizations active in R&D or product development in food and nutrition
Role: to co-create or co-develop a new food concept that involves magnesium