A Macedonian Institute of Agriculture is developing project under H2020-SFS-2018-2020: Sustainable food security. The main objective on this proposed idea is seriously unification on the whole process of quality control and health status on the grapevine from production of planting material to production of grapes. It is looking for Universities or R&D institutions that have experience in production of virus free planting material of grapevine and grape production.
Viticulture and winemaking as economic branches takes up a large part of the total agricultural production, and they become a significant part of the gross national income of the states. It is necessary to have much more production of healthy, virus free and quality planting material. There should be a continuous control from planting to finished product, i.e. quality control and sanitary condition of seedlings and grapes. The analyzes and laboratory trials are placed mostly on experiential evaluation, visualization and organoleptic estimation.
The idea of the project is firstly placing of control in viticulture on stable basis, to a scientific level and production of "small" i.e. experimental production under laboratory conditions (in vitro) of virus free material in controlled and selected varieties (mostly autochthonous or domesticated varieties of grapevine). After multiplication will make acclimatization and minimal propagation in half open and external conditions ("Botanical Gardens" or small greenhouses for experimental production). Further is done ELISA-test for viral testing them or makes molecular diagnostics for diseases and pests, depending on the technical equipment. Further already developed techniques and methods under laboratory conditions and in small "Botanical Gardens" along with certain advice and directions will be implemented in the wider agricultural production. Besides the production of a healthy planting material of grapevine steadily laboratories will be examined the quality and health status of the current production of grapevine in the country and of those quantities are imported from outside. It is also necessary to make DNA identification of some autochthonous and domesticated grapevine varieties that are grown in Macedonia.
The focus of this project proposal are the scientific advancements and innovative technologies that have been developed and proposed by experts of the highest scientific level to be implemented in the current production, in order for its increase and improvement.
Scientific research will include:
- Establishment of quality control and health condition of the grapevine on a stable basis at the scientific level, which will lead to improvement of the health, quality and yield of the grapevine.
- Identification of autochthonous and domesticated varieties of grapevine and utilization of their genetic potential to further improve their properties.
- The introduction, examination and analysis of varieties of grapevine located at one place (institute or research center) will contribute to better performance of analyzes and tests, improved access to information and data and reduced transport costs.
- The research will be carried out by scientific experts.
- Furthermore, the work, research and knowledge of the management of highly sophisticated equipment will lead to the creation of new methods that will be accredited and internationally recognized.
- Continuously education and distribution of young staff to perform existing activity.
- Innovation in molecular diagnostics, in vitro reproduction, clonal selection of virus-free material and genetic research on grapevine will be included in the wider production.
The project aims at control of the quality and the health condition on the grapevine on a solid basis, to create preconditions in which the quality and the health will examine on scientific level in the laboratory. The Institute has data on biodiversity and genetic resources in the grapevine in Macedonia and especially for autochthonous varieties in which the positive properties can be used.
The Institute is looking for research organizations (Universities or R&D centers) working in that have experience in research in grapevine production.
EoI deadline: 1.4.2019
Call deadline: 4.9.2019
- Specific area of activity of the partner: The Institute is looking for R&D institutions, Universities that have experience in research projects. The partners sought should have experience in virus free material and clone propagation of the grapevine, DNA identification of grapevine varieties and small and medium enterprises that are interested in such production and can provide technical assistance.
Proposal under development
Coordinator required: No
02/04/2019 - UK Funding for Innovation
04/06/2019 - Future of Building 2019