A UK (Scottish) biotechnology company is looking for a contract manufacturer or collaborative partner (preferably located in Ireland or other EU countries)to produce its innovative water-based films for supplying home compostable packaging to food, medical device and pharmaceutical markets.
The UK based biotechnology SME was established 4 years ago and has perfected the extraction of a natural biopolymer. From this, it has produced home compostable thin packaging films which have attracted genuine interest from global brands and others who now wish to use this to replace single-use plastics in a wide range of situations.
The company is preparing to build its own extraction facility to produce its biopolymer during the second half of 2022.
A manufacturing agreement is sought, with a partner with film manufacturing expertise and a film-making facility, operating to strict compliance guidelines,and is required to bring its home compostable packaging to the market within the same timescale; 2nd half of 2022.
Manufacturing methods must include accurate film forming (via casting, slot extrusion, or tubular extrusion) in the range of 20 to 50 microns with state-of-the-art drying to achieve optimised cost of manufacture of flat reels of packaging. Production capacity should be around 15M square meters per annum in the first instance and preferably able to be done on a single site.
Other advantageous capabilities include:
1) a pilot facility to enable different blends/recipes of water-based biopolymers and other ingredients to be trialled to speed up the transition from the lab to the factory environment, and further improve product functionality;
2) existing compliance standards such as BRC, FSSC22000, ISO13485, GMP;
3) quality testing facilities on-site;
4) facilities for converting finished reels of packaging film to articles such as pouches and bags to add further value to the products.
- Type of partner sought: It is expected that interested parties provide a profile of their organisation comprising their expertise and capabilities against the outlines provided by the biotechnology company above.
- Specific area of activity of the partner: An established manufacturer of water-based packaging films (20 to 50microns thick) to produce up to 15M square meters per annum, in the first instance. Capabilities include operating under ISO compliance standards for regulated markets such as food, medical devices, and pharmaceuticals.
It is preferable to have a track record of contract manufacturing using customer recipes.
The company's proprietary technology is protected by trademarks and patents are being sought for its fully developed packaging.
A long-term relationship is envisaged with the contract manufacturing/collaborative partner being sought. Registered IP will strengthen the long-term business arrangement and there should be no conflicts of interest with other customers for whom the packaging film-maker is currently supplying.