A UK company manufactures and supplies an award-winning range of premium ice creams and sorbets, specialising in particular in East Asian flavours such as Matcha green tea, black sesame seed and yuzu.
As part of its growth strategy into new international markets, the company would like to find experienced ice cream / dessert producers who would be interested in manufacturing and marketing its products under licence.
Established in 2009, the UK company has quickly established itself as a successful artisan ice cream and sorbet brand that specialises in East Asian flavours. The products are inspired by the Chinese heritage of the business owner, as well as her international travels and childhood visits to local ice cream parlours. The innovative flavours offer a point of difference and complement many pan-Asian cuisines, in particular Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Malaysian and Korean foods.
New flavours and products are constantly being developed and the range currently comprises:
• An East Asian range, with flavours ranging from lychee to toasted coconut, as well as a top-selling Matcha green tea ice cream;
• A spice range, offering chocolate ice creams with spices such as chili or ginger;
• A wide range of sorbets, including lime & lemongrass, plum & umeshu, pink guava and passionfruit.
The company has also developed a new range of vegan / gluten-free desserts and fruit sauces that complement its ice cream range. These will be launched in Spring 2019 and include East Asian-inspired cheesecakes for the food service sector.
The company sells mainly to restaurant and hotel groups, cafés and contract caterers, but also works with a number of UK distributors. In addition, its products are stocked in a number of premium retailers and specialist Chinese supermarkets in the UK.
The company already has exporting experience, having sold its products into 10 European countries through one of its restaurant customers. It also works with a retailer in UAE and has recently appointed a Chinese distributor, selling into retail channels and e-commerce sites there.
However, the company is keen to explore other routes into new international markets and is therefore interested in potential collaboration with other ice cream or dessert manufacturers. The company is offering the opportunity to manufacture and market its products under licence.
Through such a collaboration, it would make available its secret recipes and production processes to the partner, as well as marketing and sales support, in return for a licence fee.
- Type of partner sought: Partners should have experience in the manufacture of frozen foods and ideally ice cream and desserts. They should be committed to high quality manufacturing standards (ideally accredited by the British Retail Consortium (BRC) or a similar global food safety standard).
- Specific area of activity of the partner: Potential partners should be experienced producers of ice creams / desserts or other frozen products, who are also able to market products to relevant wholesalers, food service companies or premium retailers in their country / territory. Accreditation by the British Retail Consortium (BRC) or a similar global food safety standard) would be ideal, but as a minimum they should be committed to high quality manufacturing standards. They must respect client confidentiality in respect of the UK company’s recipes and production processes.
Partners agreeing to manufacture under licence would additionally be required to pay the relevant licence fee, to secure the right to produce the UK firm’s ice cream / sorbet range.
The UK company can offer the following advantages to a potential partner:
• An innovative range of products, based on flavours developed by the UK company which complement many pan-Asian cuisines and which offer a point of difference from other ice cream products on the market;
• Regular new additions to the product range, including from Spring 2019 an exciting new range of vegan and gluten free desserts;
• Sharing of the UK company’s exclusive recipes and special production processes;
• Subject to agreement, use of the company’s branding;
• Training for sales teams, to support them in the marketing of their products;
• Exclusivity in certain markets for the right partner(s).
Already on the market
1 day ago - Analysis for Innovators Round 5
28 days ago - Greywater recycling reduces drinking water usage