A UK SME food company is developing a range of “milk-shake” and milk-like drink products based on tiger nuts. Tiger nuts are known to have certain “super-food” qualities and these products will be able to make some unique health claims. Partners with Ultra High Temperature (UHT) processing and aseptic packing capabilities are sought to manufacture, process and pack these products under manufacturing agreements.
Across the world there is a growing demand for food and drink products that are free from common allergens such as nuts, lactose and other dairy ingredients.
Tiger nuts are the small (3-19mm diameter) tubers of the chufa sedge plant. They have no relationship to normal nuts and hence do not induce any nut-allergic reactions. They have though been described as a “super food” due to their high fibre; healthy, non-animal fat; high protein contents and rich source of minerals such as magnesium and potassium.
Tiger nut milk derived from the diluted, cold-pressed “nuts” is associated with its own raft of health benefits such as lowering cholesterol, combating arteriosclerosis and reducing the effects of diabetes. It is also an ideal drink for those who cannot tolerate gluten or cow milk and its derivatives.
A UK SME established for 6 years is developing a range of tiger nut "milk-shake" products with vegetable and/or fruit flavour characteristics. It is also intended to include a plain, tiger nut milk product for pouring on breakfast cereal or drinking as milk. These products will also be promoted as “organic, nut-free and dairy-free”. The company has already gained the interest of one of the UK’s major supermarket chains for these products. A contract manufacturing partner is sought to produce these products.
A manufacturing cooperation agreement is offered whereby the manufacturing partner will produce product according to recipes and specifications supplied by the UK company and hold stock for call-off by the UK company. Production volumes will be subject to discussion between the partners but it is envisaged that there might be an initial quantity of 1,000 units.
- Type of partner sought: It is expected that the manufacturing partner will have the necessary production capability to produce the tiger nut milk from the tiger nuts themselves and blend the added ingredients of the UK company's recipies. The manufacturer will need to have have UHT processing capability in order to confer long shelf-lives (in excess of 12 months) on the products and the ability to fill them into sterilised 250 ml and 500 ml cartons or plastic bottles in aseptic conditions. Crucially, the contract manufacturer will have to be able to guarantee that there is zero contamination from any nut or dairy material. The manufacturer will also need to demonstrate full Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) and/or the UK Safe and Local Support Approval (SALSA) quality and safety management systems.
- Specific area of activity of the partner: A drinks manufacturer with the capability to produce the “milk-shake” and milk-like products, apply the necessary heat processing (UHT) and pack into 250 and 500 ml cartons or plastic bottles under sterilised (aseptic) conditions. The partner will have to guarantee that all production, processing and packing equipment is totally free from nut and all dairy materials. It will also need to demonstrate that it operates full HACCP and/or SALSA quality and food safety management systems. The partner will produce the products according to recipes and specifications supplied by the UK company and hold stock for call-off by the UK company.
The products will be a unique range of vegetable and fruit flavoured healthy “milk-shake” style drinks based on tiger nut milk as well as the plain milk. They will be promoted with benefit claims that include:
• Organic (as defined and certified by the UK Soil Association)
• High in oleic acid and vitamin E and so of benefit to heart health
• Sugar free and therefore suitable for people suffering from diabetes
• An ideal drink for people who can not tolerate gluten or cow milk and its derivatives
These claims will ensure a strong consumer demand for these products.
Under development/lab tested - Recipe development for the individual varieties in the “milk-shake” range is in progress and being tested through kitchen scale production.
Secret Know-how,Trade Marks,Copyright - The information displayed on the packaging will be subject to copyright protection and the products will be sold under a registered, trademarked brand. The recipes will be disclosed under confidential disclosure agreements between the UK company and the manufacturing partner.
6 days ago - Bridging for Innovators Funding Programme
17/10/2018 - STFC B4I Chemical Sector Roadshow
30/10/2018 - Ocean Energy Europe 2018