A Korean manufacturer of compound semiconductor substrates (supporting material) and templates (thin layer of substrate) based on nitride semiconductors for Ultra High Brightness (UHB), High brightness (HB) LED and Power electronics applications is looking for an R&D partner for Eurostars 2 in 2018. The partner should be able to integrate the structure of power electronic devices on the company’s substrate.
The Korean manufacturer of compound semiconductor substrate (a supporting material on which a circuit is formed or fabricated) and template has been in the semiconductor industry for the past 10 years. The company produces Gallium Nitride (GaN) wafer and template for HB (High brightness) LEDs and Power electronics applications. Another main product by the company is Aluminum Nitride(AIN) and Aluminium Gallium Nitride (AIGaN) template for UV LEDs and power electronics applications. The company has expertise in growth technologies of nitride semiconductors and mechanical polishing and chemical mechanical polishing technologies for the GaN, AIN, AIGaN compositions.
The company is interested in finding partners to improve the quality of power electronic devices on the company’s GaN substrate. The company has the technological expertise on GaN substrate and the potential partner would preferably have technological expertise on power electronic devices. As results of these cooperation, the Korean company will have a chance to improve the adoption effect of GaN substrate for power electronic devices and the possible partner will obtain the new version of power electronic devices with excellent properties at their application.
Each party’s role in this R&D cooperation will be as shown below:
- The Korean company is expected to:
? provide the concepts for developing Hydrate Vapor Phase Epitaxy (HVPE) system without quartz parts, highly pure thick GaN layers and intentionally Si-doped GaN layer.
? supply GaN substrates to the potential partner
? receive the feedback results and requirements from the potential partner
? develop new GaN substrates for requirements
? expected result: Develop quality-improved GaN substrates for power electronic devices.
- Potential partner is expected to:
? develop and evaluate the power electronic devices on the company’s GaN substrates using their own technology.
? give feedbacks to the Korean company about the results and request further necessary requirements to improve the product quality.
? develop and evaluate the power electronic devices on new GaN substrates with the potential partner’s own technology and expertise.
? Expected result: evaluate the adoption effects of the Korean company’s GaN substrate for Power electronic devices
The Korean company has experience of exporting GaN templates and substrates to USA and Japan. The company owns patents in Korea, Japan, USA, and Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT), signed by more than 152 countries. The company continues its robust R&D work, publishing 6 research papers in Korean and international journals related to the crystal technology. Additionally, the company presented their technology at renowned Korean and international forums, exhibitions, conference, etc for more than 30 times. The company wishes to submit a proposal for Eurostars 2 in 2018 with a potential partner preferably in March. This profile is open for EoI until February 20, 2018.
- Specific area of activity of the partner: Type of partner sought: research institute, university or company
Specific area of activity of the partner: Fabrication technology expertise of power electronic devices
Task to be performed: Integration of the power electronic devices on the company’s GaN wafer or template
- The company has rich experiences in the growth of GaN layers by Hydrate Vapor Phase Epitaxy (HVPE), a high rate deposition process for growing high quality crystals, with quartz parts. Based on these experiences, the company will provide a new type of highly pure, thick GaN layers for the research project with the new type of quartz-free HVPE system. The further research of intentionally Si-doped GaN layer will be achieved by the quartz-free HVPE system for the application of power electronic devices
- The company has been evaluated to have an excellent quality of 2-inch GaN substrate. The top surface of GaN wafers are polished by mechanical and chemical mechanical polishing techniques.
- The surface roughness was achieved less than 1nm (nanometre). The values of full width at half maximum (FWHM) of a rocking curve (RC) for the (102) GaN plane were developed in less than 100 arcsec and dislocation density were developed in less than 7.5x106/cm2.
Secret Know-how,Patents granted
40 days ago - InnovateUK December sector competition: Open