A Spanish non-profil research institute is looking for partners for an H2020 project proposal (CE-SPIRE-10-2018) related to polymers/polyvinyl butyral additives characterization, modification and recycling. The project aims to develop a sorting system of post-consumes polyvinyl butyral in different grades for improving the quality of the final recycled product. The institute looks for SME/Industry and RTD partners in this sector and education training experts for dissemination activities.
A Spanish research institute is a non-profit, private technological centre with large trajectory in international cooperation. The centre has coordinated 19 of the total 35 participated European projects from FP6 to Horizon 2020 including LIFE and ECO-Innovation programs. The main R&D fields where the centre develops its activities are nanotechnology, new materials and advanced-environment technologies.
The institute holds a post-consume polyvinyl butyral recycling line with high performance in terms of recycling rate and glass removing rate, but the obtained recycled polyvinyl butyral has the shortcoming of be composed by a mixture of polyvinyl butyral from different origins. That means that polyvinyl butyral with different concentrations of additives and compositions are mixed in an unique product which has limitations to be introduced as raw material in some applications of high consume such as automotive or construction.
The institute is preparing a project proposal to the call CE-SPIRE-10-2018: Efficient recycling processes for plastic containing materials (IA). The main goal of the project is to develop and design a sensor capable of sorting post-consume polyvinyl butyral in different grades according to its composition and/or properties, enabling the reuse of the recycled polyvinyl butyral in high quality and high consume applications, such as automotive and construction. The first idea is that this sensor could be based on a combination of laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy and infrared technologies.
Other objectives to be achieved in the project should be:
- To develop new activators to separate the post-consume polyvinyl butyral into 3 or more categories according to their composition and/or properties.
- Design, construction and implementation of the separation module and integration into the polyvinyl butyral pilot recycling line.
- Development of new physic-chemical steps to refine the recycled polyvinyl butyral in 3 different formats: powder, dispersion and pellet in order to broad its reuse introducing them in different applications.
- Demonstration of the obtained final products in real industrial application.
- Development of life cycle assessment and life cycle costing on the obtained final products.
The organization is looking for:
- SME/Industry or RTD partners experts in polyvinyl butyral processing and applications,
- SME/Industry partners devoted to the production of laminated polyvinyl butyral,
- SME/Industry partners devoted to the manufacturing of glass with laminated polyvinyl butyral,
- education training experts for dissemination and learning resources for undergraduate level and lifelong learning programmes, and
- SME or RTD with expertise in regulation and standards for recycled polymers.
Expression of interest deadline: 23rd January 2018.
Call deadline: 22nd February 2018.
Anticipated duration of the project: 24 months
- Specific area of activity of the partner: - Type of partner sought:
SME or RTD with expertise in polyvinyl butyral processing.
SME or industry producing laminated polyvinyl butyral.
SME or industry devoted to the manufacture of security glass for automotive or construction sectors.
SME or RTD with expertise in regulation and standards for recycled polymers.
Education training experts for dissemination and for creating learning resources.
- Specific area of activity of the partner
Polymer industry polyvinyl butyral industry / glass with laminated polyvinyl butyral industry / polymer recycling standard and regulation agents / polymer recycling education and dissemination stakeholders.
- Tasks to be performed:
Definition of technical requirements, support in the recycling process and test the properties of recycled polyvinyl butyral in real conditions in their processing facilities.
End-users in order to validate the recycling process.
Regulatory and standard assessment.
Production of training, learning and education resources.
- EU / International project experience:
Not compulsory but it will be appreciated.
Coordinator required: No
37 days ago - InnovateUK December sector competition: Open